Edition: September 4th, 2021
Curated by the Knowledge Team of ICS Career GPS
- Excerpts from article by Amy Blaschka, published on Forbes.com
If you ask the most admired leaders, who ‘suddenly shot to fame’, the secret to their success, they’re likely tell you that their success was anything but ‘overnight’.
Success is the culmination of many years of hard work and a deliberate choice to continue to show up, no matter what, day after day.
In other words, it’s all about CONSISTENCY.
Successful people have the courage and grit to keep going even when they don’t feel like it, or when they’ve suffered a setback, or when things are going so well, they feel like it will last forever.
Is it simple? Yes.
Is it easy? Definitely not, which is why so few actually do it and why it will set you apart.
Here are 4 benefits of embracing the power of consistency:
1. It helps others understand your value
- Consistency sends a message to the world about who you are and what you’re capable of.
- Consistency is about aligning and maintaining your voice and look and feel in all your communications and interactions.
- It’s how you present yourself, engage with others and the way you move through the world.
- So much so that people come to expect and anticipate your specific point of view and unique perspective and understand how valuable you are.
- Without it, you run the risk of trying to be all things to all people and doing so lowers your competitive advantage and waters down your offering.
2. It allows you to track your progress
- The first time you do anything, you’ll probably be far from perfect.
- Make your peace with that and focus on repeatedly and consistently putting in efforts, so you’ll improve over time.
- By sticking with it, you’ll establish a proven track record to document your results.
- Remember, practice brings progress, and if you give up too soon, you’ll never find success.
3. It demonstrates your commitment
- When you continue to show up as yourself, and for others, you demonstrate your accountability as a leader and human being.
- Your consistency will also earn you a rock-solid reputation as someone who always means what they say and say what they do.
- That dependability helps build and maintain trust, the ultimate currency of business.
4. It raises your profile
- Consistency is all about playing the long game, and resisting the latest trend or chasing popularity.
- Taking small steps every day that align with and showcase your talents, putting them to their highest and best use, is the best way to build awareness of your personal brand.
- When you consistently share your wisdom and demonstrate your value to others, you also bolster your ‘know, like and trust’ factor, making it easier and more desirable to work with you.
- Consistency also raises your profile as a trusted thought leader in your field.
(Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in the above mentioned article are those of the author(s). They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of ICS Career GPS or its staff.)