Liberal Arts is trending and there is a definite move from STEM to STEAM, wherein the ‘A’ stands for Arts. This field offers a wide range of interdisciplinary courses across the Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities and Arts.
Almost every career field, except medical and engineering related options, are open for a Liberal Arts student. This is because it inculcates cognitive thinking along with some top employability skills, resulting in:
- Knowledge of a wide range of subjects
- Enhancement of higher order thinking skills, empathy, design thinking, creativity, etc.
- Acquisition of transferable employability skills like written and verbal communication, teamwork and leadership
Liberal Arts graduates in high demand by tech firms
Top tech companies such as Apple, Facebook, Google and Microsoft are actively hiring students witha background of Liberal Arts. An important reason is because they need to humanise their AI systems(robots and chatbots) with empathy, creativity and intuitive responses.
- You can go in for specialisations in a specific subject, e.g. history, geography, psychology,economics, etc.
- You can also opt for interdisciplinary studies i.e. combine subjects and chart your pathway tointeresting, emerging specialisations such as cliodynamics (math and history), behaviouraleconomics (psychology and economics) and many more.
- A host of other career fields are also open for you, irrespective of the subject combinationyou have in Grade 12. These include Advertising & PR, Banking, Design, Law, Education,Government & Defence Services, Hospitality, Management, Mass Communication, SocialWork, etc.