Education & Career Trends: August 25
Curated by the Knowledge Team of ICS Career GPS
- Article by Ananya, published on medium.com.
In fact, just 10 minutes of focused effort can be enough to make a significant difference. The biggest reason we are not able to stick to new habits (or break an old one) is that we don’t start small.
That is why, 10-minute habits are game changers. Despite their simplicity and short duration, they still can have some impact on your life.
So, here is a list of 10-minute daily habits that have the potential to transform your life.
1. Begin the day with the end in mind
- Starting your day with a clear vision of what you want to achieve sets the foundation for success.
- In just 10 minutes each morning, you can set your intentions, visualise success, and create a roadmap for your day.
- Take 10 minutes each morning to imagine the positive outcomes, the emotions you’ll experience, and the impact it will have on your life.
- Write down your intentions for the day.
- Specify the key actions you need to take to move closer to your goals.
- Be as specific as possible, and focus on the most important tasks.
2. Drink a glass of water first thing in the morning
- Drinking a glass of water takes only a few moments, making it an easy habit to incorporate into your morning routine.
- Keep a glass or bottle of water by your bedside the night before. You need a visual reminder to drink water upon waking up.
- As soon as you wake up, reach for the glass of water and drink it before engaging in any other morning activities.
- To make it easier, set a daily reminder on your phone or incorporate it into your morning routine by changing the name of your wake-up alarm to ‘Drink a glass of water’
3. Go on a 10-minute walk every week (or every day)
- Taking a 10-minute walk can do wonders for your physical and mental health.
- It helps you breathe fresh air, clear your mind, and feel refreshed.
- All it takes is setting aside 10 minutes for a walk, and you’ll experience the benefits.
- You can do this every day or choose a specific day each week.
- Decide how often you want to go on a walk: every day or once a week. Consistency is important.
- Set a specific time for your walk and make it a priority.
- Take this time to unplug from technology and focus on the present moment. Enjoy the sights, sounds, and smells of nature.
- Sometimes, you can even utilise this time to listen to your favourite song or podcast.
4. Practice the one-tab rule
- We often get overwhelmed with too many tabs open in our web browsers.
- The One-Tab Rule will help you simplify your online experience, stay focused, and make the most of your time.
- Following the One-Tab Rule is quick and easy, taking less than 10 minutes.
- It’s about managing your tabs with awareness and being mindful of your online habits.
- Close unnecessary tabs and keep only the one you’re currently using.
- Before opening a new tab, ask yourself if it’s really important for what you’re doing right now.
- Save links or information using bookmarks or a note-taking app instead of keeping multiple tabs open.
5. Write down 3 non-negotiables for the next day before sleeping
- Non-negotiables are the key tasks or activities that you commit to completing the next day, regardless of any circumstances or distractions that may arise.
- They are the top priorities that you consider essential and non-negotiable in achieving your goals or maintaining your well-being.
- Choose three specific tasks or activities that you will commit to accomplishing the next day. Make sure they are realistic and attainable within your available time.
- Write down your non-negotiables on a piece of paper or in a digital note.
- Place this reminder where you will see it in the morning, such as on your bedside table, on your phone’s lock screen, or as a note on your computer desktop.
- Start your day by focusing on your non-negotiables.
6. Tidy your space for 10 minutes
- A clean and organised environment promotes a sense of calm, reduces distractions, and allows you to focus better on the tasks at hand.
- You might think that tidying up your space requires a substantial amount of time and effort, but dedicating just 10 minutes can make a noticeable difference.
- Set a timer for 10 minutes to create a sense of urgency and focus.
- Start with a specific area or task, such as clearing your desk, organising a shelf, or decluttering your workspace.
7. Read for only 10 minutes
- Reading for just 10 minutes a day is a great way to make reading a habit.
- These short reading sessions can accumulate over time and expand your knowledge base.
- Set a timer for 10 minutes to help you stay focused and committed to your reading session.
- Find a quiet and comfortable spot where you can immerse yourself in the reading experience.
- Try adding it somewhere in your regular routines throughout your day, such as during your lunch break, commuting, or before bed, to fit in your 10-minute reading session.
- If you read nonfiction, remember to always have a small notebook and pen to make notes, underline and use it later to actually apply the concepts.
8. Write about your day for 10 minutes
- Writing about your day doesn’t have to be a lengthy or time-consuming task.
- Allocating just 10 minutes before bed or at the end of your day can be very valuable.
- Set a timer for 10 minutes to maintain focus and prevent the writing session from becoming overly time-consuming.
- Then, just write.
- Write whatever that comes to your mind.
9. Meditate for 10 minutes
- It’s an accessible and manageable practice that anyone can incorporate into their daily routine.
- Find a comfortable and quiet place where you won’t be easily disturbed.
- Set a timer.
- Close your eyes and begin by taking deep breaths.
- Incorporating these 10-minute habits into your daily life can have a profound impact on your overall well-being and personal growth.
- By starting small and dedicating just a fraction of your time each day, you can create positive changes in every aspect of your life.
So, whether it’s starting your day with a glass of water, taking a short walk in nature, or practising mindfulness through meditation, these 10-minute habits can bring about remarkable transformations.
Have you checked out yesterday’s blog yet
(Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in the article mentioned above are those of the author(s). They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of ICS Career GPS or its staff.)