Education & Career Trends: July 8
Curated by the Knowledge Team of ICS Career GPS
- Excerpts are taken from an article published on makeuseof.com.
Data science is constantly evolving, with new papers and technologies coming out frequently. As such, data scientists may feel overwhelmed when trying to keep up with the latest innovations. Continuous learning is necessary to remain valuable as a data scientist, but it can be difficult to keep up all by yourself.
However, with the right tips, you can stay current and remain relevant in this competitive field.
Thus, here are eight ways to stay on top of the latest trends in data science.
1. Follow Data Science Blogs and Newsletters
- Data science blogs are a great way to brush up on the basics while learning about new ideas and technologies.
- Several tech conglomerates produce high-quality blog content where you can learn about their latest experiments, research, and projects.
- Alternatively, you can look into online publications and individual newsletters.
- Depending on your experience level and advancement in the field, these blogs may address topics you’d find more relatable.
2. Listen to Data Science Podcasts and Watch YouTube Videos
- Podcasts are easily accessible and a great option when you’re pressed for time and want to get knowledge on the go.
- Listening to podcasts exposes you to new data science concepts while letting you carry out other activities simultaneously.
- Also, using interviews with experts in the field, some podcasts offer a window into the industry and let you learn from professionals’ experiences.
- It’s easy to get lost in a sea of podcasts and videos, so carefully select detailed videos and the best podcasts for data science.
- This way, you can acquire accurate knowledge from the best creators and channels.
3. Learn Data Science Skills and Concepts From Courses and Books
- Online courses allow learning from data science academics and experts, who condense their years of experience into digestible content.
- Recent courses cover several data science necessities, from hard-core machine learning to starting a career in data science without a degree.
- Additionally, books play an important role as well.
- Reading current data science books can help you learn new techniques, understand real-world data science applications, and develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- These books explain in-depth data science concepts you may not find elsewhere.
4. Meet Industry Experts and Enthusiasts From Events and Communities
- Attending conferences ushers you into an environment of like-minded individuals you can connect with.
- Although talking to strangers may feel uncomfortable, you will learn so much from the people at these events.
- Furthermore, presentations allow you to observe other projects and familiarise yourself with the latest trends.
- Seeing what big tech companies are up to is encouraging and educative, and you can always take away something from them to apply in your work.
5. Participate in Data Science Competitions and Hackathons
- Data science hackathons unite data scientists to develop models that solve real-world problems within a specified time frame.
- Participating in hackathons enhances your mastery and accuracy and exposes you to the latest data science tools and popular techniques for building models.
- Regardless of your results, competing with other data scientists in hackathons offers valuable insights into the latest advancements in data science.
- Also, don’t forget to register for physical hackathons that may be happening near your location.
6. Contribute to Data Science Open Source or Social Good Projects
- Contributing to open-source data science projects lets you work with other data scientists in development.
- From them, you’ll learn new tools and frameworks used by the data science community, and you can study project codes to implement in your work.
- Furthermore, you can collaborate with other data scientists with different perspectives in an environment where exchanging ideas, feedback, and insights is encouraged.
- You can discover the latest techniques data science professionals use, industry standards, best practices, and how they keep up with data science trends.
7. Follow Thought Leaders and Influencers on Social Media
- Following data science thought leaders and influencers on social media keep you informed about the latest data science trends.
- This way, you can learn about their views on existing subject matters and up-to-date news on data science trends.
- Additionally, it allows you to inquire about complicated subjects and get their reply.
- You can take it a step further and follow Google, Facebook, Apple, and other big tech companies on Twitter.
- This gives you the privilege of knowing tech trends to expect, not only limited to data science.
8. Share Your Data Science Work and Insights
- Sharing your work lets you get feedback and suggestions from other data scientists with different experience levels and exposure.
- Their comments, questions, and critiques can help you stay up-to-date with the latest trends in data science.
- You can discover trendy ideas, methods, tools, or resources you may not have known before by listening to their suggestions.
Have you checked out yesterday’s blog yet?
(Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in the article mentioned above are those of the author(s). They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of ICS Career GPS or its staff.)