Edition: September 20th, 2021
Curated by the Knowledge Team of ICS Career GPS
- Excerpts from article by Jon Michail, published on Entrepreneur.com
Entrepreneurs are the risk-takers of the business environment. They spot an existing problem, find a solution and provide services or products to resolve the issue. They succeed in accomplishing such high standards of achievements despite obstacles on their way up by taking huge risks and by being bold in their decisions and goals.
Entrepreneurial coaching unlocks your hidden and unexplored potential and assists as you and your business grow in an ever-changing, dynamic business atmosphere. You can utilise your qualities and attributes by fully becoming aware of yourself through coaching.
Here are the 5 key benefits of entrepreneurial coaching:
1. Identifying and focusing on the most important things
It helps you find and focus on the crucial aspects of your professional and personal traits, values and purpose. A coach helps you find the right balance by asking deep and meaningful questions about life, relationships and friendships. They want to derive a set of core values and personality attributes to purposely orient your disoriented self back into the game.
2. Spotting your weaknesses and blindsides
A coach assists you with guidance to narrow down and target spots that you might miss. Identifying your weak and blind spots prevents you from future threats. It also prepares you to first understand yourself better and then work to grow your business.
3. Getting a competitive edge through adaptiveness
Self-awareness is an essential step in staying ahead in the game. When you are self-aware, you find the answers to questions you may not have thought of. Coaching helps you gain the confidence to take more significant risks and achieve higher goals for yourself and your business.
A coach is like a ‘”tough love” friend you wished you had when you were a child. They’ll push you to invest your time and effort into building an adaptive self.
4. Ushering in abundance in your business
When a coach helps you with aspects of your personality, core values and ambitious desire, you are stacking the odds in your favour. You have invested your time, energy and effort into building a legacy. Ambition, self-awareness and business expertise support greater abundance in your professional and personal life.
5. Helping you become a source of inspiration
Human beings are drawn towards people of power and influence. A leader that supports the community and is a source of inspiration for many is an attractive prospect.
Do you see yourself as a leader? Do you want to have an influence on people and become a source of inspiration? Then, you already have an answer. Your coach can help you decide how, when and where to utilise your capabilities for the best results.
How can you find a good coach?
Here are 3 ways in which you can identify a great coach:
1. Entrepreneurial and corporate experience
Do they represent self-leadership and are they leaders and entrepreneurs themselves?
- Achieving great success is much easier when you share the same vision with someone who wants to see your success.
- Have an adaptive mindset and be open to accepting insights from a leader who helps you unveil answers to your own questions.
- The first method to distinguish a great coach from a good one is to identify their entrepreneurial and corporate experience.
- Find a coach who has more than 10 years of experience in the entrepreneurial world. Check out their own success as an entrepreneur.
2. Results versus mere statements
Do they focus on results?
- Entrepreneurs need to have questions (and answers) to every challenge and must lead their team through everyday struggles.
- The reason why entrepreneurs fail is because of their inability to understand the market and their target audiences.
- The market is incredibly volatile because of the global health and economic crisis due to the pandemic.
- Find a coach who doesn’t give you fluffy motherhood statements, but focuses and shows you results.
- Ask for their client testimonials and see if the coach is worthy of your time and efforts.
3. The will to invest in themselves
Do they have a grounded abundance mindset or scarcity thinking?
- The coach should have the undeniable will to invest in themselves first and seek personal development as their priority.
- Personal development should be as important as investing in their business for marketing, sales and finance.
- Ask them about the habits that helped in their personal development.
- Coaching is about finding your internal and external weaknesses, accepting them and having the desire to improve upon them.
- An experienced coach will help you see yourself from a different perspective and help you adapt to create new possibilities.
Well-known celebrities, politicians and entrepreneurs who had coaches include Barrack Obama, Oprah Winfrey, Hugh Jackman, Serena Williams and Leonardo Di Caprio among others.
(Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in the article mentioned above are those of the author(s). They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of ICS Career GPS or its staff.)