Edition: November 8th, 2021
Curated by the Knowledge Team of ICS Career GPS
- Excerpts from article by Internshala Trainings, published on India Today Web Desk
Unconventional career choices might be challenging at first, however, the benefits associated with these are promising. Today’s job opportunities are the ones that didn’t exist a few years ago. Similarly, the pace of technological evolution would continue to generate millions of new jobs in the future that we can’t think of today.
Equipping oneself with relevant, unique, evolving, and out-of-the-box skills, is thus, an important aspect for young graduates aiming to start their own business or land a secure job.
As parents, education institutions, and the government are now motivating the youngsters to walk an extra mile, think of new ideas, and explore new career routes, students have gathered the confidence and courage to pursue their interests.
For those who don’t align with the traditional work culture, believe in doing something revolutionary, aim to pursue their passion, and wish to make an impact, learning an offbeat skill could be exciting and rewarding.
Here are a few more reasons that would add up to your decision of learning an offbeat skill:
1. You get to pursue your passion
- Whether you like painting, dancing, writing, scripting, anchoring or travelling, passion fuels your willingness to work.
- Mastery in an offbeat skill of your choice will help you turn your interests, passions and dreams into reality.
- While working professionally in your area of interest, you stay motivated, continue learning, experience a sense of accomplishment, feel positive and energetic, broaden your horizon, and constantly discover new opportunities.
- For those with multiple interests or hobbies, you must first assess your strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats (SWOT) of building a career in those fields.
- This will help you to determine your capabilities, make the right decisions, and stay focused, consistent, innovative and dedicated towards your career goals.
2. Greater earning potential over time
- Delayed results, sleepless nights, lack of resources, hefty equipment costs, and fewer initial earnings are some of the complications associated with pursuing offbeat careers.
- However, once you build your recognition, loyal clients, and credibility, your craft will be appreciated by everyone.
- Unlike 9-5 jobs wherein your earnings would increase by 10-20% annually, earning potential in offbeat domains can be huge.
- Your expertise, experience, knowledge of the field, quality of work, and ability to market yourself could help you fetch a lucrative amount once you are established.
3. Possibility to build a great network
- Offbeat career choices like animation, photography, video editing, blogging, digital art, calligraphy, playing guitar, or creative writing have a great scope for networking.
- You build your own professional portfolio, reach out to experts in your niche, connect with more people, do your own PR and marketing, build your visibility on social media, and develop long-lasting relationships that help you in career progression.
- You get access to more work, stay informed, get expert advice and suggestions, gain new insights, and strengthen the social skills that are essential for growth.
- Pursuing a career in an offbeat skill is an excellent way to meet new people, showcase your ability to the world, make lasting connections, and grow profoundly.
4. Be your own boss
- Offbeat fields have enormous choices when it comes to choosing the place, time, duration and type of work.
- You can start as an intern or freelancer, can work on a contractual basis with private or government firms, work for multiple clients at a time, or can start your own business.
- You set your own short-term goals, mission, vision and deadlines, have the freedom to choose projects that excite you, and quote prices that justify your talent and skills.
- Unlike fixed commitments wherein the work is driven by company expectations, here you can connect with your clients and customers anywhere, anytime, enjoy a great work-life balance, do a variety of work, enjoy remote work flexibility, and live life on your own terms.
5. Constant learning and progress
- As trends and technology keep advancing, success in offbeat careers requires you to be dynamic, up-to-date, active, creative, innovative and self-motivated.
- You need to master the latest trends, in-demand hard and soft skills, new software or tools, marketing tactics, etc., to stay in the competition and enjoy a steady career growth.
- Obtaining certifications might also become essential to display your competency, validate your expertise in your domain, showcase your commitment, and assure your clients that your skills are worth considering.
- Learning through part-time or online courses is an essential element once you start working in an offbeat field.
- You should be constantly eager to learn and acquire more knowledge, discover new techniques of working, compete passionately, and grow.
(Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in the above mentioned article are those of the author(s). They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of ICS Career GPS or its staff.)