Career Trends: May 1, 2022
Curated by the Knowledge Team of ICS Career GPS
- With excerpts from article by Narayan Mahadevan, published on deccanherald.com. Original article link.
The numerous openings in the software development job market indicate the rapid pace of growth in the information technology sector. But to succeed in today’s competitive employment market, one needs more than just strong coding skills.
Present-day employers are looking for well-rounded individuals even in tech roles. While some of the hard skills will come naturally to candidates, many others will need their constant attention and practice.
Let’s take a look at some of these skills that are most sought-after today:
Command over coding languages
- You need to be proficient in at least one programming language.
- Similarly, Ruby is an easily accessible and widely prevalent coding language, used in developing websites and mobile apps.
- Effective communication skills are a must for landing a coding job as it includes communicating with the client and team members as well.
- Recruiters look for candidates who have a combination of good coding and communication skills, to ensure a smooth workflow.
- As it is no longer feasible in the developer jobs to sit in the offices in isolation and work, companies are now working in the hybrid model.
- Interpersonal skills mean effective communication with colleagues and maintaining sound relationships.
- Being able to effectively resolve conflicts, manage teams and build strong relationships with everyone around enables one to grow in their career.
- In the post-pandemic world, companies need coders who understand their colleagues and are empathetic.
- It is part of ensuring efficient work while people work from distance, it makes social bonding easier even when people work in remote mode.
- Coders often come across bugs that need them to think critically.
- You must have the ability to think out of the box and resolve the problem in a stipulated time.
- You need to be able to organise your thoughts after taking a look at the problem and execute it effectively.
Ability to put knowledge to practical use
- As a new coder in the industry, you may have a lot of theoretical knowledge about your project, but you need to be able to put it to practice.
- It goes a long way in the professional growth in the IT industry.
Attention to detail
- There is no substitute for the efforts made by a person at an individual level. It is one of the prerequisites to be able to pay attention to detail.
- It means understanding the interconnectivity in commands, general awareness and lingual precision.
- One way to learn is through an organisation or by building a plan that can be assessed, reviewed and improved.
Keeping up with the trends
- The marketplace in IT is changing. Everything from cloud to mobile apps is outpacing the supply of skilled workers in the sector.
- The trend of the shift towards code written by machine learning is leading to the need for humans who can work in synch with AI.
- As a coder, you must keep up with such trends and build your set of skills in a way that makes you unique in the eyes of potential employers.
Have you checked out yesterday’s blog yet?
(Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in the above mentioned article are those of the author(s). They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of ICS Career GPS or its staff.)