Career Trends: June 12, 2022
Curated by the Knowledge Team of ICS Career GPS
India has grown tremendously over the years in agriculture. The country has managed to become food self-sufficient. As agriculture has become one of the most profit-making businesses in the world, there still exists the biggest challenge of food shortage across the globe. With global population rising massively, it is expected to reach 9.7 billion by 2050.
What is AgriTech?
Agriculture Technology (AgriTech) is a branch of new innovative technologies developed to increase efficiency and improve yield of agricultural processes.
AgriTech consists of a number of technologies like AI and IOT with various applications but all work toward growing more food with fewer inputs, reducing both cost and time investments.
AgriTech Market and Demand
- The activity in the country’s AgriTech industry had been increasing significantly.
- With more than 1000 start-ups, adding a GVA of 56% in FY2020, the AgriTech market potential in India was more than $2.4 billion and is expected to reach value of $24 billion by 2025.
- A lot of entrepreneurs, engineers, and venture capitalists have been interested in the AgriTech space.
- India has also seen the investments in the AgriTech industry to be soaring.
- There is a huge demand for people in the agri space to build effective systems and teams. AgriTech is creating new jobs with several start-ups attracting a lot of talent.
- AgriTech companies are looking to create diverse careers to bridge the gap between farmers and technology.
Careers in AgriTech
Here, are some of the AgriTech careers that would be in great demand in the future.
- Food scientists work towards discovering foods, analysing the nutritional content, and finding ways to make processed foods healthier and safer.
- They improve food products while also creating new ones with the help of scientific principles and applications of technology.
- Hydrologists are majorly involved with surface water.
- They research physical properties, distribution, circulation of surface water as well as underground water and also supply clean and safe water across the globe.
- The job of a hydrologist also includes protecting the environment and promoting sustainability.
- The use of robotics, sensors, aerial images have made it easier to increase efficiency.
- Drone technologists provide farmers with ways to reduce crop damage and increase yield.
- They are the ones who connect agriculture with technology. Agronomists are also called ‘crop doctors’.
- They work towards providing practical and scientific solutions to enhance soil control, crop production and soil management.
- They also carry out experiments to increase plant nutrients and determine soil health.
Agriculture Communicators and Advocates
- Every industry needs someone to create, develop, and share the stories to aid in establishing relationships, interchange ideas, etc.
- Agriculture communicators and advocates are science communicators that work and focus mainly on communicating and engaging on topics related to agriculture with both agricultural and non- agricultural stakeholders
Have you checked out yesterday’s blog yet?
(Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in the above mentioned article are those of the author(s). They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of ICS Career GPS or its staff.)