Career Trends: July 8, 2022
Curated by the Knowledge Team of ICS Career GPS
- Article by Apoorva Bellapu, published on analyticsinsight.net. Original article link.
Programming is ruling the world and there’s no use denying it. Computer programming is the process of performing a particular computation, usually by designing and building an executable computer program. It involves tasks such as analysis, generating algorithms, profiling algorithms’ accuracy and resource consumption, and the implementation of algorithms.
Any tech-giant or a company with tech products uses programming each day. Considering the growth potential and future prospects in this field, the number of aspirants is continuously increasing.
If you are one of those who aspires to be a proficient programmer, here are some coding tips to help you:
1. Make sure you have a strong grasp of the fundamentals.
- One cannot become a good programmer if the basics aren’t clear and strong.
- Having a fair understanding of the fundamentals such as data structures, variables, control structures, syntax, tools, text editors, etc. would make the coding journey way easier.
2. Don’t read. Practise!
- Reading might seem easy and also create an impression in your mind that all the concepts are thorough and that you can code without any difficulty whatsoever. However, this isn’t the case.
- As you start practising coding, you’ll find yourself often getting stuck, requiring you to play around the codes to find the solution.
3. Code by hand to refine your skills.
- This might sound too old-school for many but this method is great way to test your proficiency as a programmer.
- Coding manually also gives you a clear understanding of the syntax and algorithms.
4. Share your knowledge.
- One of the best ways to learn is by sharing all that you know.
- This is because, in the process of teaching someone, you refresh your concepts and monitor your own knowledge as well.
- In case you are unable to understand any concept or code, reach out to someone experienced.
5. Choose the right courses.
- There are countless sources available to enhance your knowledge. You can choose as per your preference.
- Taking up the right course is a step towards a remarkable programming career.
6. Form simple and understandable codes.
- Coding should never be about showing off the programming skills by writing incomprehensible complex programs.
- The ultimate goal of a code is to solve a problem.
- A good programmer is one who comes up with a code that is readable, understandable, and testable.
7. Take breaks in between work.
- Sitting for too long in front of a computer for hours is counterproductive. You cannot grasp everything at one go.
- Not only will you get exhausted but your learning will also suffer.
- Taking breaks in the midst of your learning process is considered ideal.
8. Learn from mistakes.
- It is absolutely okay to make mistakes.
- No one is an experienced coder in the first go and making mistakes is inevitable .
- With every mistake that you make, you’ll learn and become better at your job.
9. Work with other developers.
- Once you have a sound knowledge of coding and are confident about it, start working on projects with other developers.
- Not only will this boost your confidence but also enable you to learn tips and techniques that you might not have been aware of.
10. Focus on techniques, not tools.
- A good programmer pays the utmost importance to techniques rather than tools.
- Try to learn as many techniques as you can.
Have you checked out yesterday’s blog yet?
The value of self-management in the workplace
(Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in the above mentioned article are those of the author(s). They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of ICS Career GPS or its staff.)
One Reply to “Coding Tips to Make Your Programming Journey Easier”